Friday, May 18, 2012

Garden Saga: Round 2

So after we lost our first set of seedlings I decided to try direct seeding everything. The peas are actually starts from inside, but everything else was a second attempt direct seed.

 You may wonder about the paper cups in my garden... Let me explain. I thought it would be a good idea to use the seed starting pellets from the indoor starter kit, but needed some way to keep them concentrated in the garden. So I cut the bottom off the cups put the pellets in them and put the seeds in the pellets, my hope was that this would give the seeds a good start and then help them root in the regular soil.

 These are the radish starts. We litterally just stuck them in the ground! These and the cabbages and beets. And they are all doing well! ( I was surprised at how very very tiny the cabbage sprouts were!)
 This is more or less how we look today! The farthest away are the beets, then the cabbage then the radishes.

 My watermelon row is looking slightly better now, but still sad.
 The big ones are the zuchinis. The medium sized ones are the summer squash. The small ones in the back there are the cucumbers. Everything is getting round two or miracle grow tomorrow!
 And here are our peas. They have not grown much to be honest. I just dont know that we are going to get any peas. They say it is too hot here, they may be right!
 For the record, if all else fails, we can declare this years garden at least a partial success! These are fresh radishes I picked today! MMMM watch out, some of them have a bit of a kick!

No comments: